“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Saturday, September 18, 2010

Scary Moments for My Dad While Out Running

When I called my parents after finishing my run this morning, my mom was on her way to the hospital to meet my Dad after he'd called 911 while he was out running!  Hearing that, I, of course, panicked.

Turns out he's okay, thank goodness!  He was running 18 miles in high 70's temps with 95% humidity after flying back from Denver  late last night.  Apparently he didn't hydrate well enough for a long run (the altitude change probably didn't help either), and at mile 17.5 ended up feeling light-headed and nauseated, and his legs locked up on him.  He felt really bad, and it scared him enough that he called 911 from the trail.  The EMT's hooked him up to an I.V. and took him to Northwest Hospital because his blood pressure kept dropping dangerously low.

They observed him for a few hours, gave him two bags of I.V. fluids, and said all his bloodwork was normal.  He's been released now, and is still planning on going to the TxState football game this evening (in an air-conditioned box, thankfully), so he's obviously feeling better.

Scary moments, though.  We're all so grateful that he's doing ok now, and that nothing was really wrong except a little heat exhaustion and some major dehydration.

Here are my morning run stats:
  • 1.05mi walk
  • 3.5mi run; 48 min; 13:43min/mi
  • Custer Loop

1 comment: