“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Starting the Blog

I participated in the Walt Disney World Half Marathon in 2009 & 2010.  In 2009, I ran the 13.1 "magical miles" in 3:20:19.  In 2010, the combination of inadequate training, freezing temperatures, and a nasty chest cold meant I could not finish the race.  I made it to mile 9.6 and had to flag down a medic on a bike, get on a bus, and be transported to the medical tent behind the finish line.  I didn't finish, I didn't get that oh-so-coveted Donald Duck medal, and I didn't get to experience that incredible high that comes with being able to say "I did it!"  Instead, the emotions swung in the other direction and I cried because I was so upset over not finishing.  I vowed then and there that there was absolutely no way that was ever going to happen again!

So, 8 months later, here I am, with 18 short weeks until WDW Marathon Weekend 2011, and I'm once again feeling unprepared.

So what do I do about it?  I go into full-on planning mode, of course!  I've got my training schedule and my gear ready to go.  Our neighborhood has a great paved multi-purpose trail that connects with many other trails throughout the city and county for good-weather days.  On bad weather days, we have the treadmill, but that only works for about a max 5 mile run before I am ready to die of boredom - no matter what's on the TV in front of it.

I officially started following the above training schedule last week, and have been successful so far in sticking with it.  I'm hoping that posting to this blog will keep me honest, and keep me motivated.  Sooooo...wish me luck, and ready, set, go!

1 comment:

  1. I'm a new follower. I don't know how I happen to stumble across your blog but I'm glad that I did. I am signing up for the 2012 Disney World Marathon and I am so excited!!! I am looking forward to following your journey =)

    Shannon from http://mallforce5.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete