“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Counting Down and Adding Up

Counting down - today is officially 4 weeks 'til the San Francisco 1st Half Marathon!!!  This is when it starts feeling real for me, and when I usually start getting nervous.  Don't get me wrong, the nerves are there, but are currently being overridden by excitement, and, dare I even say it - confidence?!?!  My training's on track, and that's a great feeling.

Speaking of training, I'm slowly adding up the miles - yesterday's run put me over the 250 mile mark for the year!  And as the weeks keep flying by, that number's just going to keep going up and up - some weeks faster than others - but always in the right direction!  I reported in my challenge stats at the end of June, and that puts me at 36.3% of my goal mileage reached.  Halfway through the year and just over 1/3 of the way there.  I feel pretty good about it.

Since it's a holiday weekend, my running group didn't meet yesterday.  I had initially signed up for a race - the Independence Day 10K - but I decided against running it because even though race registration was free, the gas to get down there and back wasn't.  Cementing the decision were the facts that the race didn't start until 8am (just too hot), and that I'd still need to get in some additional miles afterward.  So I bailed on the race and hit the nearby trails bright and early - just me and my ipod.  I found myself missing the camaraderie of the group as well as that extra bit of motivation they provide, but I realized that a long run by myself was a good thing at this point.  After all, the group won't be there in San Francisco, will they?  About halfway through the run, I found myself tiring and recognized that I'd probably started out too fast.  So I ended up walking more of the last 2-3 miles than I'd like, but I'm still happy with the average pace.  Now I just need to keep it up for another 3.5 miles!

Yesterday's Run:
  • 10 minute warm-up walk
  • 9.56 mi run; 2:06:52; 13:16 min/mi avg. pace

1 comment:

  1. Way to go! Your training does seem to be right on track and I'm sure you're going to do great during your race.

    Keep some of the nerves as they are important for the race, but be confident that you have done the work to get to the race and that will carry you through!

    ReplyDelete