“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Tuesday, April 19, 2011

California, Here I Come!

Cue the music...We're headed back to the Golden State at the end of July!  But instead of sunny Los Angeles, foggy San Francisco is our destination this trip.  Why, you ask?  Because it's one of the only places you'd feel comfortable running a half marathon on July 31st, even if there are hills involved!!!

That's right, my San Francisco 1st Half Marathon training begins this week.  The course time limit for the 1st Half is 3 hours - that's a 13:45 pace - something I should be able to handle pretty easily, and wouldn't normally be worried about.  However, I'm slightly concerned about the hills, and I'm definitely going to want to be able to enjoy the incredible scenery, so I'm trying a different training plan this time around.  I'm going with a Time Goal Training Schedule, hoping to pick up a little speed so I'll have a decent cushion in July.  This will be my first ever experience with speed work, so any advice you all can offer will be greatly appreciated!

I've added my training schedule (which will probably be modified due to starting Galloway Group Training at the end of Week 5), the Course Map, and a quick Course Video of the First Half route at the bottom of the page.  If you're interested in seeing what I've gotten myself into - or perhaps in joining us for what promises to be a great race - check them out!

Today's stats:
  • 10 minute warm-up walk
  • 2.24 mi run; 0:30:00 min; 13:24 min/mi avg
    • I accidentally selected the old 1:1 intervals on my Garmin and didn't realize it until after I'd warmed up and was a minute into running and I didn't feel like starting over, so I just went with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment