“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Roller Coaster Ride-Along While Running

This morning, as I was watching the local early morning news while running on the treadmill, they did a special segment on the new Texas Giant at Six Flags over Texas. The roller coaster, which has been closed for over a year for "enhancements," is re-opening this week. For anyone unfamiliar with the ride, here's a quick blurb about it:

"This new super hybrid will have a state-of-the-art track of steel fabrication, with the steepest drop of any wooden coaster in the world at 79 degrees. The lift hill will be 10 feet taller than the original Texas Giant. The new ride will also have a record-breaking bank of 95 degrees, steeper than any other wooden coaster on the planet."

The coolest part was that they did a LIVE "ride-along."  You can see it here.

I'm a huge roller coaster fan, so this was very exciting for me! I was also nearing the end of my run, so it made for a fun two minutes when I'd normally be trudging along! I'm thinking there's definitely a trip to Six Flags in our future sometime soon so we can experience the new ride in person!

Today's run:
  • 10 min warm-up walk
  • 2.31 mi run; 0:30:00; 12:59 min/mi avg. pace

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh the Texas Giant. I've ridden it quite a few times! Every time we visited my family in Dallas, we made a trip to Six Flags. I had no idea it was closed! Looks like the updated ride is going to be awesome! :0)

    Great job on the run!!

    ReplyDelete