Three amazing things about Saturday's Conn's Green 6.2 5K race:
- I set a new P.R. for the 5K distance.
- We ran to/from the race venue.
- I fell in love with my new skirt.
1. I shaved 6 seconds off my old 5K P.R.! The truly amazing thing about it is that it was really hot and humid Saturday morning - high 70's and sunny, with very high humidity. However, there was some wind to cool us off (is it possible that it was always a head wind?). But, it was a flat course, so that obviously worked to my advantage. Plus, the race went through my parent's neighborhood, so it was on streets that I know!
2. Since the race was through my parents neighborhood, and we knew that there would be limited parking near the start/finish line, we decided to run up there before the race and back afterward. Since I needed to get 5 miles in on Saturday, we measured it out, and, by adding in the distance to/from the house to the race venue to the 3.1 miles from the 5K, it was exactly 5 miles - perfect! And it worked out great, because it also meant we both had ample opportunity to warm-up/cool-down (maybe that 1.16 mi warm-up helped with the P.R.!)
3. I've been dipping my toes into the pool of running in skirts. I bought an "athletic style" Running Skirt brand skirt, have run in that several times, and like it. I had a small problem with the shorts underneath rolling up a tiny bit, but figured, hey, it happens. And
there was a little drooping in the back waistband, but I chalked that up to my body type (big hips, smaller waist). At the Dallas R'n'R expo, Luke's Locker had a Skirt Sports brand "Happy Girl Skirt" on sale. I tried it on, and bought it, but hadn't really had a chance to run in it. I decided to wear it for the race on Saturday morning because it was going to be so warm that I felt like even my capris would be too hot. I LOVED this skirt. Not liked, LOVED. It was so comfortable, and I didn't have any of the (albeit small) issues I had with my RS skirt. I will definitely be buying more of these! I'm not giving up on RS, but...I might be a SS girl for now.
- 1.16 mi run; 0:14:14 min; 12:16 min/mi avg pace;
- 5K (3.11 mi) race; 0:37:39 min; 12:07 min/mi avg pace;
- 0.76 mi run; 0:09:31 min; 12:31 min/mi avg pace