“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Saturday, December 29, 2012

Revolutions Lead to Resolutions

365 earthly revolutions make a year and we're nearing the end of this one.  Which means it's time for ... resolutions!  The start of a new year gives us a clean slate with a bright shiny new beginning.

2012 taught me that I can run marathons, but that I prefer halfs.  That I can go the distance, but that I don't need to.  And, sadly, that I sacrificed  the fun in the pursuit of a few big goals.  Running stopped being enjoyable this training season, and I want that fun and enjoyment back.  Don't get me wrong, there were some fun times to be had while running this year.  But running itself was not fun anymore.

While I'm not normally a huge fan of New Year's Resolutions, I do like the idea of a new plan and a new goal for a new year.  And for me, that means my goal for 2013 will be a goal that's not centered around a particular length of race or even a certain number or type of race.  

2013 for me will be about finding the fun in running again.  

Which is a very broad and sweeping resolution, I know.  So I do need to commit to some smaller and more concrete goals for the year.  While reading an article in Runner's World on the plane ride home to visit my family a couple weeks ago I came across the perfect way to do this.  Anyone else read the January issue and already know what I'm talking about?

Well, I'm leaving you with a cliffhanger here, and I'll follow up in my next (non-Challenge-related) post.  In the meantime, I've got a couple questions for you:

  • Reflecting back on your 2012, did you have running triumphs? Running regrets?
  • What are you looking to change next year?
  • Have you started thinking about your 2013 New Year's Resolutions yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment