“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Are You a Runner?

When I'm asking myself this question, my answer changes constantly: if it's been a good week, it's a yes, if it hasn't been, it's a resounding no.  When other people ask me this, I will usually respond with "I run" or "I run/walk."  For some reason, I shy away from actually saying the words "I am a runner." 

So why the waffling?  Why the indirect answers?  Maybe it's a lack of self-esteem or lack of commitment on my part, maybe I'm scared that if I answer in the affirmative, I'll be proven wrong.  But how?  And by whom?  Where are these mystical rules posted that define who is a runner and who isn't?

A few months ago, I read a great blog post by Helen on AllEars.net, giving her answer to this question.  Here it is: "Are You A Runner."  I loved her response so much, that I bookmarked the page and will occasionally come back and re-read the post when I'm needing some inspiration/motivation.  For anyone who hasn't read it yet, I highly recommend checking it out ASAP, and for anyone who's seen it already, you know exactly what I'm talking about.

Will I ever be confident enough to say those 4 words?  One day, hopefully soon, I'll get there.  But for now, I'll just keep on running...

2 days 'til we leave, 3 days 'til we run!

1 comment:

  1. I think you've earned the right to call yourself a runner without hesitation. But I know what you mean, I still sometimes feel silly saying, "I'm a runner" because so many runners are afraid to say it themselves.
    Good luck on the big race!

    ReplyDelete