“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Saturday, January 1, 2011

Is Virtual Running Really Running?

A virtual run - is there really such a thing?  Yup.  And actually, it's a misnomer.  It should be called a Virtual Race, not a Virtual Run.  You're actually running, you're just not actually racing.  But still, what the heck is it?  The people behind World Run Day have organized a Virtual New Year's Day Run.  Weird, right?  Maybe not!  You choose when, where, and how far you want to run; then you download your e-bib off the website, and just go!  I registered for 5 miles, since that's what was on my schedule, and, per the race instructions, made a small donation to the Texas SPCA, one of my favorite charities.

So, I got up this morning, still stuffy and coughing, looked at the thermometer, ...and chickened out.  I decided to wait until it had at least gotten above freezing to leave the house.  Once noon rolled around, the temps had hit 32, and the sun was out, so I did my 5 miles.  After a week of not running at all, and still feeling fairly yucky (but much better than the previous couple of days), I did it - but I walked it.  I decided there was no point in pushing myself too far while I'm still in recovery mode and doing more damage than good.  But I was determined I was going to get those 5 miles in.  So I stuffed my pockets full of kleenex, bundled myself up, and set out.  Felt great after going, too! 

Today's stats:
  •  5 mi; 1:27:20; 17:28 min/mi avg

No comments:

Post a Comment