“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Monday, March 4, 2013

2013 Mini Goals: March: Build an Injury-Proof Body

"March Comes In Like a Lion" and yes, the lion is here!  The Runner's World article "A Month-by-Month Guide to a Fitter, Faster You" lays out monthly mini goals for the year and March's is to Build an Injury-Proof Body.


MARCH: Build an Injury-Proof Body

"'The knee accounts for about half of all running injuries,' says Robert Gillanders, P.T., D.P.T., O.C.S., a physical therapist with Sports + Spinal Physical Therapy in Washington, D.C. 'But knee problems are usually indicative of a weakness in the hips, glutes, and core. If those areas aren't solid and able to stabilize you as your foot strikes, your knees take the brunt.' Gillanders is a fan of simple exercises you can do anywhere... "  Read the rest of the article here.
The one nagging joint problem I've always had was my knees, even before I became a runner - but once I started running, unbelievably my aching knees stopped aching!  Guess all that exercise really helped (this is also one of the reasons I scoff at people who tell me that running is bad for my knees - they were worse before I was a runner!)  As for other ailments, fortunately for me, I had a very minor stress fracture in my right foot that I got when I was training for my first half, but I haven't had a running-related injury since (knock on wood!).  And I definitely want to keep it that way!  So I'm a big proponent of cross-training and strength training to supplement my running schedule.

Last month I re-started one of my most effective/favorite exercise videos: Chalean Extreme which involves slow and heavy weight-lifting, and finished the "Burn" circuit at the end of the month.  The "Push" circuit is up next, and what I'll be concentrating on during March.  So it's my own way of strengthening my joints, my legs, and my core.

I'm also going to try to make up for missing February's mini goal and try the whole cooking thing again...hopefully I'll have a much better showing this time than last...smh.

Q4U: Do you supplement your running with cross training and/or strength training and/or core work?  What do you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment