“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Thursday, March 7, 2013

February Flashback: Cooking Part 3

When I was meal planning for the week, it was kinda chilly and grey outside and soup sounded warm and yummy.  I'm not a big soup person to begin with, so I have to be in the right mood - which is why when this evening rolled around and it had been 72° today I wasn't really feeling the soup...

But, I'd committed to cooking and I didn't want to waste the ingredients, so I put on my apron and rolled up my sleeves.  Dish of choice?  Weight Watchers Points Plus Cookbook Smoky Shrimp and Corn Soup.

Smoky Shrimp and Corn Soup (serves 4) 
2 tsp olive oil  
1 large red onion, thinly sliced 
2 celery stalks with leaves, thinly sliced 
2 tbs all-purpose flour 
3/4 tsp smoked or sweet paprika 
2 c fat-free half-and-half 
11/2 c fresh corn kernels (from 2 large ears) 
1/4 tsp salt 
1/2 lb medium shrimp, peeled & deveined 
1. Heat oil in large saucepan over medium heat.  Add onion and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.  Add flour and paprika and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. 
After adding the flour and paprika
2. Remove saucepan from heat; add half-and-half, whisking until smooth.  Return to heat, add corn and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 3 minutes.
Adding the half-and-half
3. Add shrimp and cook, stirring often, until shrimp turn opaque in center, 3 minutes. 
Simmering the soup after adding the shrimp
Per Serving: 228 cal, 4g fat, 31g carbs, 3g fiber, 16g protein
Finished product
While I liked the soup, I could've used a little something...more.   It was just a little too sweet with the corn and red onion, and not balanced quite enough by the smoky paprika.  Maybe some heat is what it needs?  I am a Texan, after all - it would be interesting to play around with adding some red pepper flakes, cayenne, or tabasco. 

No comments:

Post a Comment