“A person should set his goals as early as he can and devote all his energy and talent to getting there. With enough effort, he may achieve it. Or he may find something that is even more rewarding. But in the end, no matter what the outcome, he will know he has been alive.” - Walt Disney

Saturday, March 9, 2013

February Flashback: Cooking Part 4

What was up on the menu board last night?  Singapore Shrimp Stir-Fry (yes, another Weight Watchers Points Plus Cookbook choice)!  Although I haven't really been observing Lent this year, (oops - no judgement, please) when I was meal planning the week I chose two shrimp dishes - last night's soup so that I could bring it as leftovers for lunch with a green salad, and tonight's stir-fry for "fish Friday."  Guess those Lenten practices are a little more ingrained in me than I thought, lol.


Singapore Shrimp Stir-Fry (serves 4) 
4 oz Chinese wheat noodles or spaghetti 
1/4 c reduced sodium soy sauce 
2 tbs rice vinegar 
2 tbs reduced sodium chicken broth 
1/2 tsp Asian (dark) sesame oil 
1 large egg 
1 large egg white 
2 tsp canola oil 
2 garlic cloves, minced 
1 tbs minced peeled fresh ginger 
1 lb medium shrimp, peeled and deveined 
6 scallions, cut into 1/2 pieces 
1 red bell pepper, cut into thin strips 
2 cups lightly packed baby spinach  

1. Cook noodles according to package directions, omitting salt if desired. 
2. Meanwhile, whisk together soy sauce, vinegar, broth, and sesame oil in a small bowl.  Set aside. 
3. Whisk together egg and egg white in a small bowl until frothy.  Heat 1 tsp of the canola oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium-high heat until drop of water sizzles in pan.  Add egg and egg white and scramble until set but still moist, 2-3 minutes.  Transfer eggs to plate and cut into small pieces. 
4. Wipe out skillet and heat remaining 1 tsp canola oil over medium-high heat.  Add garlic and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 1 minute.  Stir in shrimp, scallions, and bell pepper; cook, stirring, until shrimp are just opaque in center, about 3 minutes.  Add eggs and spinach; cook, stirring, until spinach is wilted, 2 minutes.  Add noodles and reserved soy sauce mixture; cook until just heated through, about 1 minute. 
Just after adding the noodles and sauce
*Healthy extra: Add 1 cup of any of the following vegetables to the stir-fry when you add the shrimp: trimmed snow peas, broccoli florets, sliced mushrooms, 2-inch pieces of asparagus, or thinly sliced carrots. 
Per serving (1 cup): 263 calories, 6g total fat, 28g carbs, 6g fiber, 27g protein.

I don't like bell peppers, so I left those out (although they would have added some pretty color to the dish), I substituted egg beaters for the eggs, and I ended up adding a pre-washed bagged broccoli/carrot/snow pea medley that I found in the  refrigerated area of my store's produce section as my "healthy extra."



This stir-fry was yummy, and very filling with all those veggies!  However, like last night, I feel like the dish could definitely have benefited from some heat.  When I make this again (and that will be a definite occurrence) I'll be adding some red pepper flakes, no question.

No comments:

Post a Comment